Sunday, February 28, 2010

sunny days. time to play.


One of our greatest pleasures as a family is our Saturday "constitutional" around Lady Bird Lake. Richard and I did our fair share of walking the hike and bike trail before baby boy joined us, but we enjoy it even more now that he is with us. Despite the snow earlier in the week, we were out in force and so was the sunshine and the warm breeze.
Jack is sporting the last of his winter wardrobe before it gets too hot. I had to go through his closet the other day and remove (almost) all of the 0-3 month clothes. I was supposed to make a save pile and a toss pile, but I didn't find anything of significance to part with. Instead, I sat on the floor of his closet, picking up one sweater and then another, arranging them and holding them close again.

It reminded me of when I took high school physics. At the end of the course, I had all these notes I barely understood and no intentio
n of going into any profession that required more than basic addition. Still, I held onto my notes. What if I needed to figure the trajectory of the sun while on the trail? Calculate the trajectory of a rogue bird? I finally threw away those notes five years later, when Richard came to visit our family home for the first time. They went into the trash in a dusty heap.

My hope is that someday we'll have another baby. Whether he (or she) will be able to wear some of Jack's newborn clothes--the green argyle sweater, the teddy bear vest, the monogrammed overalls--remains to be seen. Even if the stars align and we have another little bo
y who wears the same sizes in the same seasons, he won't need everything I've saved.

But it's just so hard to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment